Have you noticed the change?
There seems to be a big shift in 50+ women starting businesses and taking ownership of their lives. It’s everywhere, new women influencers are emerging and more women than ever are taking control of their own destiny. Business and health seem to be at the forefront of this new what I would call ‘superpower’ but maybe that’s because I’m in this bracket myself.
When I look back to my 20’s and 30’s, it feels like someone else’s story. I didn’t have the right head for business or health, or probably relationships for that matter, and I never thought for one minute I’d be where I am now, married, laptop lifestyle, business owner and entrepreneur, mentor, and mother to two beautiful ‘fur babies’
I’ve always been confident about my abilities, although I didn’t really value them, or myself in my younger days. I didn’t feel worthy of having a ‘leader’ position and always applied for less than I was capable of. When I hit my forties, things started to become clearer, they started to change in every way. I realised those I was working for had no vision or ability to empower others, and were happy sticking with the status quo. What a stifling environment it is when you are confined by others’ lack of innovation or creativity.
Those of us who are in our 50s and beyond, heading towards the dreaded menopause, or been there and done it, I’m sure will agree, something changes in us. You care less about what others think and you feel far more comfortable in your own skin. Ego takes a back seat and impressing others is the last thing on your mind. Your tolerance levels go down and you find it easier to remove toxic people from your life.
It’s not all plain sailing of course and some of the other things I’ve noticed are changes to my physical appearance, more ailments, eyesight is worse, you gain weight more easily and lots of other little irritations, but the positives far outweigh the negatives!
Some things which I’ve realised and maybe you can relate to too if you’re in this middle zone of life like me:
- Being over 50 feels like the start of something exciting.
- You know you are a strong woman but also not as invincible as you or everyone else thought you were.
- Your self-respect means far more now than ever before.
- You recognise that you’re unique and your abilities far outweigh what value others have put on you in the past.
- You are confident about speaking up and speaking out, you have an opinion and you’re not scared to share it.
- You recognise that not everyone will like your views or the way you work, but you’re happy with yourself and the need not to change these views to suit others.
- You value respect, loyalty and honesty more than anything and those who share these values will become your inner tribe.
- You are comfortable releasing those who don’t bring you peace of mind or joy.
- You can spot the manipulators or narcissists instantly and you don’t feel the need to argue back with them or bow to emotional blackmail.
- You recognise those with an agenda and the people pleasers who would sell you out to save their own skins.
- You understand that those who talk behind your back are trying to win allies but this is down to their own insecurities and lack of self-worth.
- You know that your HEALTH is, and will now be, your number one priority and should never be taken for granted.
- Everyone who talks about taking time out for self-care has actually been through a hard time and is trying to save you from going through it too.
- Taking time out and pampering your soul is one of the best things you can do.
- Time with others who share your views and values is something you yearn for.
- You realise that time with your parents is limited and they’ll never be replaced.
These are just some of the things I’ve become very aware of in the past few years, I hope you can relate to it too.